Sunday, September 12, 2010

Swiss Bacon Dip



Life was very busy over the summer and hence the reason for so few posts here. But fall is finally upon us and I know this because the NFL officially started Sunday afternoon games today. I love this time of year. Today I decided to make a hot swiss bacon dip for us to nibble on while the games got underway. Oh my lord was this good stuff! I'm sure even Jesus could smell it all the way from heaven.

I found this recipe from Rachael Ray. I added some horseradish to the recipe and I think it made the dip extra delicious. I never could resist any kind of hot dip. The flavors of the bacon, swiss, dijon, scallions and horseradish make this dish memorable. Oh, and the almonds. A big handful of slivered, smoked almonds making a crust over the whole thing! Slice up some fresh red peppers and add some crackers for dipping. Absolutely heavenly!

Ingredients:

* 8 slices center cut bacon, chopped
* 8 ounces softened cream cheese
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 2 rounded teaspoons prepared Dijon style mustard
* 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, available on dairy aisle
* 3 scallions, chopped
* 1/2 cup smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
* Baby carrots and a selection of spiced flat breads, cocktail sized pumpernickel or rye breads, or sliced whole grain baguettes, for dipping

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Brown bacon in nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Drain crisp bacon bits on paper towels.

In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, Dijon, Swiss and scallions with cooked bacon. Transfer to a shallow small casserole or baking dish and bake until golden and bubbly at edges, 15 to 18 minutes. Top with chopped smoked almonds. Place dip on a platter and surround warm casserole with breads and carrots for dipping.

Variation: Swiss and Bacon Dip with Horseradish - Stir in 2 rounded teaspoons prepared horseradish when combining cheese and bacon.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good going to try it for one of the game days



    peace and hugs
    Debs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane if you start posting more regularly will you leave me a message please? I don't have much room on my follow list and I want to come back and follow you if you keep this up.

    Thanks,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete